NNL

EXCLUSIVE! Inside story of Vandrezzer FC and aggrieved players

EXCLUSIVE! 'Stop spreading falsehood' - Vandrezzer FC to aggrieved players

Yesterday, two players of Vandrezzer FC dramatically posted on the social media that the club is owing them salaries dating back to August 2020.

Fullbacks Roland Mfon and Ofonime Afangide on Wednesday claimed the club is owing five months salary.

Roland said he signed a three-year contract with the club in November 2019 while Afangide said he signed a two-year contract with the club in 2019.

But investigations by The Athletic NG has revealed the players refused to resume to camp in November 2020 after receiving invitation letters from the club and subsequently did not take part in the club’s COVID-19 tests as ordered by the Nigeria Center for Disease Control, NCDC.

Vandrezzer FC in March 2020 suspended players contract following the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic in Nigeria and subsequent suspension of all contact sports and football activities in the country and the World Football’s governing body’s (FIFA) recommendations contained in a set of guidelines meant to tackle the complexities of the unprecedented shutdown caused by the coronavirus and need to preserve the integrity and stability of domestic leagues.

Sources told The Athletic NG that during the period of suspension of contact sports, which ran from March 2020 till October 2020, players of Vandrezzer FC were given financial support (palliative) equal to 100% of their regular salaries even though their contract had been suspended and they performed no service to to the club.

When the Federal government lifted ban on footballing activities last year, the Club announced the reopening of camp in November and recalled players back to camp in batches.

Players were advised to proceed to the nominated medical center to undertake the COVID-19 test prior to resumption at the camp.

The team was then divided into groups to allow for easy management, to ensure safe social distancing and prevent the spread of COVIDd-19 in line with club’s COVID-19 policy.

In November, the players in question (Mfon and Afangide) were advised to proceed to the government approved test centre for COVID-19 test ahead of resumption of training but they failed to comply.

Our source also gathered that in December, a letter was also issued to the players, instructing them to resume at the club’s training ground to which one resumed while three others failed to heed.

On the 4th of January, 2021, the players were then issued a query requesting to know why they had failed to resume training to which they again failed to respond.

It is the position of the club that the players still have an existing contract with the club and should see it out rather than exhibit indiscipline and propagate falsehood.

****

Join our social media community on TwitterFacebook and Instagram. Like, follow and comment below with your details to receive daily updates


Copyright 2020 The Athletic NG. Permission to use this article or any part of it is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.theathletic.com.ng as the source.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Most Popular

To Top
%d bloggers like this:
Skip to toolbar