TOP STORIES

NFF to receive $2.5million from FIFA, CAF

NFF to receive $2.5million from FIFA, CAF

Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, will receive a total of $2.5 million from world football governing body, FIFA and CAF as palliative to help cushion the effect of COVID-19.

The NFF President, Amaju Pinnick made this known on Monday stating that the federation has received $500,000 from FIFA.

“I had announced earlier that we were expecting funds from World Football governing body FIFA, as part of palliative measures to help with the hardships occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic. We recently received $500,000 as part of the total sum, but this has already been earmarked for the development of the Women’s game by FIFA. It means the funds can ONLY be used for that purpose.”

Pinnick also confirmed that the NFF are expecting another $500,000 from FIFA and a further $500,000 in January. He also said CAF is expected to credit the federation’s account with $800,000.

“We are expecting another $500,000 any moment from now and another $500,000 in January. The Confederation of African Football, CAF is expected to credit our account with $5000,000; $300,000 of that to be added to our palliative funds as approved by the EXCO. The balance $200,000 from our sponsors are intact.”

Download the latest episode of The Athletic NG NPFL podcast. Links below.

DOWNLOAD – ACAST – ITUNES – RSS

While condemning reports alleging the federation has received the full sum, Pinnick said such reports are false.

“Sadly, I’ve seen a report alleging that the full sum has been paid. This is far from true Reports like these undermine what we are trying to achieve and it truly isn’t good for the development of our game. I’m in touch with our legal department and we will consider our options.”

The NFF boss further stated that Nigerian Professional Football League, NPFL, will soon resume when health authorities and sports ministry has given approval.

“With regards to local football and our own Nigerian Professional Football League, I would like to plead with our enthusiastic football fans to tarry a while. Until we get the necessary permissions from Health authorities, the Federal Minstry of Youth & Sports as well as the Federal Government, all we can do is prepare.

“However, I’d like to use this opportunity to reiterate to the various football clubs that it will not be business as usual, we will ensure that all requirements, agreements and protocols, with regards to Club Licensing are fully met and complied. Let’s not waste this chance to elevate our local league. I’m confident that with everybody on board, we will get the league we want.”

He thank sponsors and executive board for their support.

“In conclusion, I’d like to, as I usually do with these things, use this opportunity to thank our sponsors and partners, especially the AITEO Group. They truly are partners in football. To members of my Executive Board who I now call “Family;” thank you.

“To the Nigerian Football Congress for their unflinching support, the Minister of Youth & Sports, Mr. Sunday Dare for the stellar advice & direction, the National Assembly Sports Committees, the Federal Government of Nigeria and President Muhammadu Buhari for his steadfast support and finally, you, Nigerians, for your prayers and criticisms.”

****

Join our social media community on TwitterFacebook and Instagram. Like, follow and comment below with your details to receive daily updates


Copyright 2020 The Athletic NG. Permission to use this article or any part of it is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.theathletic.com.ng as the source.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Most Popular

To Top
%d bloggers like this:
Skip to toolbar